Pumpkin Cream Puff Cake
by Hidemi Walsh
(Plainfield, IN, U.S.A.)
For pumpkin cream
2/3 cup Pureed Pumpkin (I used 1/2 lb fresh pumpkin,please see the Note for the direction)
2 Eggs, beaten
1 cup Fat Free Milk
2 tablespoons Splenda
2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
For puff pastry
1/2cup All Purpose Flour, strained
1/4 cup Fat Free Milk
1/4 cup Water
4 tablespoons Butter
2 Eggs, beaten
2 oz Sugar Free Cool Whip, thawed
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Make puff pastry. In a sauce pan, combine water and butter. Heat over medium heat. When it boils, turn off the heat and add flour. Mix well. Then add beaten eggs little by little. Mix well with spatula until smooth. Transfer to the pastry bag.
3. Place parchment paper on the baking pan. Pipe the pastry on the parchment paper making circle.(about 6 inch diameter) Bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, reduce temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for another 15-18 minutes.
4. In the mean time, make pumpkin cream. In a sauce pan, combine pureed pumpkin, flour and splenda. Mix well. Add beaten eggs little by little and mix well. Then add milk little by little and mix well. Heat over medium low heat and cook stirring constantly until thickens. Let cool.
5. When the puff pastry is done and cool, slice into half crosswise. Spread cool whip on one of the puff pastry and spread pumpkin cream. Then put the other puff pastry on top. Put some pistachios and sprinkle splenda on top.
Note: Cut the pumpkin in half and discard the stem and stringy pulp. In a baking dish, place the pumpkins face down, cover and heat in a microwave for 3-4 minutes or until tender. When the pumpkin has cooled, scoop out the flesh and put into the bowl of blender. Blend well until smooth.